Amazing Animal Migrations
Have you ever seen geese flying in a V-formation? They are probably migrating—moving from one place to another. In Amazing Animal Migrations, you will learn why many animals migrate and the fascinating strategies they use to do so. You will be introduced to all sorts of animals, from the well-known Humpback Whale, to the Leatherback Sea Turtle, to the tiny Globe Skimmer. The activities in Amazing Animal Migrations help kids develop a vivid and detailed picture of the beautifully diverse world of animals around us, as well as foster an understanding of how human actions have an effect on other animals.
Mini-course is provided as a 34-page PDF, with a separate Science Tool Kit PDF to use to collect your badges
Prefer a printed mini-course? Amazing Animal Migrations is also available as a beautiful workbook here on Amazon.com.
- Story. The Migration Awards. Join your host, Pedro Penguin, as he introduces this year’s Migration Awards. Not only will you learn about all kinds of animals that migrate, you will use paper and scissors to help understand why they migrate!
- Activity 1. You’re a Salmon! Use the included board game to understand the life cycle and migration route of a Pacific Salmon. Will you be the first to reach the spawning grounds?
- Activity 2. Migration Mapping. Learn more about a migrating animal of your choice and use the included Research Journal and map worksheets to create your own migration map.
- Activity 3. Fly Like a Goose. Flying a long distance is hard. See what it’s like to be part of a migrating flock of geese in this movement-based activity!
- Activity 4. Tracking Monarchs. Become involved in an international Citizen Science project as you make observations on the annual Monarch Butterfly Migration and record them in the included Field Journal. Not near migrating monarchs? No problem, other citizen science projects are also introduced.
- Curiosity Connector. Use these videos, photo galleries, and Citizen Science links to enrich your understanding of animal migrations.
- Tools for Your Tool Kit. Demonstrate your understanding of animal migration and add these concept badges to your Science Tool Kit.
- Glossary. Learn the scientific terms to explain how and why animals migrate.
Concepts and Ideas
Amazing Animal Migrations includes the following Disciplinary Core Ideas as described in the Next Generation Science Standards:
Growth and Development of Organisms (LS1.B) , Biodiversity and Humans (LS4.D), Social Interactions and Group Behavior (LS2.D)
How to Purchase
After checking out and purchasing the mini-course via PayPal, you will receive an email from Be Naturally Curious with a link to download the mini-course PDF. Your PDF will be stamped with your name and transaction number. You will also receive a link to download a Science Tool Kit PDF. Please print this and use it to collect your Tool badges.
Illustrations by Charlie Alolkoy.